Apply to be an In Search of Roots Intern
Applications are accepted year round. We are accepting applications for the 2012 program. Please follow these steps to complete the application process:
- Download an application form;
- Write a one-to-two-page personal statement, including your reasons for applying and your expectations for the program;
- Include a letter of recommendation from a person with whom you have worked for or studied from;
- Send the application form, essay, and letter of recommendation to:
In Search of Roots
Chinese Culture Center
750 Kearny Street, 3rd floor
San Francisco, CA 94108
You will be called for an interview.
For more information, please call 415-986-1822. In Search of Roots is a program of the Chinese Culture Center.
The lecture seminars are open to the public. No cost to members of the Chinese Culture Foundation or the Chinese Historical Society of America. $50.00 for non-members.
For application to Adult Roots program, please refer to In Search of Roots Program to Expand
Who Can Apply for In Search of Roots?
- Open to Chinese Americans from 17 to 26 years of age with families originating in counties of the Pearl River Delta region in the Guangdong province.
- If accepted into the program, interns must commit to completing the internship, beginning with nine(9) Saturday seminars between February and June, self-directed research, the fifteen-day Guangdong pilgrimage in July, and the concluding follow-up seminars in September and October. Attendance at the seminars is required. In addition, each intern will be responsible for an exhibit to be mounted at the Chinese Culture Center during the Spring Festival in February and speaking about her or his experience.
- Tuition cost to interns is $500.00 plus transportation between the United States and China (round-trip airfare from San Francisco to Hong Kong, round trip rail ticket from Hong Kong to Canton, airport departure fees and transportation within Hong Kong). Costs covered in the tuition are two-week lodging and meals in China, transportation within the Pearl River Delta region, provincial and local guides, counselor, curriculum materials, seminar leaders, and exhibit costs.
- Additional costs include a supplemental fee of $20 per day, payable to the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office to cover all meals, lodging, guides, local transporation, and miscellaneous costs (such as entrance fees, toll, etc.). Interns will also pay the cost of insurance for the trip to China. Cost will be determined by the insurance carrier.
- This program is subsidized by funding from the Chinese Culture Foundation and Overseas Chinese Affairs Office in Guangdong Province. It is also co-sponsored by Chinese Historical Society.
- Interns at their option may choose to extend their stays in China and Hong Kong after completion of the two-week journey as a group. It is then the responsibility of each individual to arrange and pay for her or his transportation, lodging, and meals for any extended stay. The Chinese Culture Center can assist interns in making arrangements.
A newly established Stanley M. and Virginia T. Toy Memorial Fund will offer scholarships to qualified interns from low-income families to help cover tuition and certain traveling expenses.
Founded in 1991, the “In Search of Roots” Program involves a yearlong commitment on researching one’s Chinese American family history and genealogy. After studying their Chinese roots in America, participants will explore their roots in China through visiting their maternal or paternal ancestral villages in the Pearl River Delta region of Guangdong Province. The program culminates in a Chinese New Year exhibition of the interns’ research at the Chinese Culture Center of San Francisco, where participants share what they have learned with family, friends, and community.
Applicants interested in applying for the Stanley M. and Virginia T. Toy Memorial scholarship are requested to submit the following materials:
- In Search of Roots Application
- Statement of financial need
- A copy of the applicant’s tax return (if applicant is filed as a dependent, please provide a copy of the claimer’s tax return)
Please mail the application materials to:
Attn: (Roots Scholarship)
Chinese Culture Center of San Francisco
750 Kearny Street, 3rd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94108
The Chinese Culture Center of San Francisco, Chinese Historical Society of America and Overseas Chinese Affairs Office in Guangdong Province of the People’s Republic of China are sponsors of the In Search of Roots program.